Tales from the Diaper Bag

She’s Here and We’re Home!

La bambina was born on January 15, 2009 at 7:15 pm. She weighed in at a (very lady-like) 8 pounds and 11 ounces and is 20 and 1/2 inches long.  The world’s population is indeed very lucky because she is the most beautiful baby ever to be born and the Earth is a brighter place for her being in it.  I’m probably (ok, completely) biased, but she’s a dang cute kid and I can’t believe that I had a hand in creating such an adorable little person.

For the past 7 months of so, I’ve been blogging about my dread of labor and delivery.  Now that it’s over, I can honestly say that it wasn’t as bad as I imagined (and blogged about).  I’m too tired to give the blow-by-blow, but things went pretty smoothly.  The induction took 19 hours, but only 5 hours of that was anything more than laying in bed, waiting for medicine to kick my labor in gear.  Once things got rolling, the pain wasn’t too too bad and when it got to be too much for me to handle on my own, the epidural was there like a medicinal fairy godmother.  Don’t get me wrong, that last hour was still ROUGH, but the marvels of modern medicine made things easier.  Also, my recovery has been A LOT better than I was lead to believe by well-meaning (but overly dramatic) work friends who made recovery from labor sound roughly on par with recouping from stepping on a land mine. 

Oh, and for those of you who know my hubby, I think you should know that he was a rockstar. He didn’t faint, gag, throw-up or cry once during the whole affair. More importantly, when I was totally out of it, he was there to make sure that things went smoothly for me and the baby. He also apologized to the medical staff when the pain made me curse like a longshoreman (As mortified as I am about my language, cursing aloud was a handy alternative to panic-induced hyperventilation.)

Anyhow, we’ve only been home for 5 hours and we’re still settling in. Right now, she’s calm, fed and sleeping comfortably. Eventually, I’ll check back in with the blog with an update on how our first few days (and nights–oy) are going. In the meantime, I’m going to go enjoy my baby girl.


Trackbacks & Pingbacks


  1. * Margaret says:

    Congratulations! I’m glad things weren’t as bad you thought…it’s all about the drugs! And I am not surprised at all to hear how great Mike was in the delivery room, he just seems like that kind of guy. :o)

    Have fun getting to you know your new daughter!

    | Reply Posted 9 years, 4 months ago

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: